2016 Fall Trial Reports

If you have any Field Trial Write-Ups or Reports, please feel free to post them here.

2016 Fall Trial Reports

Postby Donald » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:08 pm

2016 New Brunswick Fall Trial Reports

Report on the North American Woodcock Championship, The North American Woodcock Futurity, The Miss Leslie Anderson Open Derby Classic, The Cronk Farm Puppy Classic and The International Amateur Woodcock Championship

By Austin Parsons

Every one showed up - the dogs, the birds, and the people. The weather and the colours were at their most brilliant. 2016 was quite a year, the 45th renewal of the North American Woodcock Championship, the 40th renewal of the International Amateur Woodcock Championship, the 40th renewal of the North American Woodcock Futurity, the Miss Leslie Anderson Open Derby Classic and the 5th renewal of the Cronk Farm Puppy Classic. (note: If a reader knows the year the first Miss Leslie Anderson Open Derby Classic was held, would you please forward this information to austin.parsons@dal.ca)

What follows are the reports for each stake presented, in the order they occurred, between Friday, September 30 and Sunday, October 9 in McAdam and Debec respectively. Each report lists the Champions/winners, the judges, the stake manager(s) and the running. In the Championship reports there is description of the courses as well as a few words from each winner. I asked the winners to comment about their dog and what ever else they thought was applicable to the time. Their words are quoted; it did not make sense to paraphrase. The Amateur Championship report concludes with a short history of the Miss Leslie platter including what is engraved on it.

My thought was to combine all the reports into one article. This accomplishes two things: it best represents the spirit of the two weekends if one reads all the reports as one collective celebration, and it allows me to report on what was common to all the stakes once.

Sponsors and Hosts

Corey Nutrition sponsored The North American Woodcock Championship and the North American Woodcock Futurity. Purina sponsored The International Amateur Woodcock Championship, The Miss Leslie Anderson Derby and The Cronk Farm Puppy Stake. The Amateur Field Trial Clubs of America (AFTCA) and Garmin/Tri-Tronics provided the winners with plaques and collars. The Ruffed Grouse Society of Canada provided the winner’s prize for the Miss Leslie Anderson Open Derby Classic. On behalf of the Maritime Bird Dog Club, the stake managers, judges, handlers and this reporter, I would like to thank all our sponsors for their generosity and continued sponsorship. It goes without saying, but without you folks, the weekends would be less and quite possibly, not likely to happen.

In McAdam, we stayed at the Hoof n’ Paw Bed and Breakfast which is owned and operated by Norm DeWitt. Norm takes great pride in the Hoof n’ Paw. The rooms are clean and the food is good. An added benefit of staying at the Hoof and Paw is Norm himself. He entertains, keeps the conversation light, and expresses an occasional opinion and bends over backwards to make sure you are taken care of.

When at Debec, for what felt like forever, we always stayed at the John Giles Inn. Forever ended last year when Hino Toedter sold the Inn and retired. This meant that Bob Little had to find a new rendezvous for the weekend. He found it in the Knights Inn in Jacksonville. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The owners and their family are helpful and friendly. On a side note, Hino’s daughter, Natasha, came up for one day during the running of the North American Woodcock Championship and reported he is well and enjoying retirement.

An integral part of the Amateur weekend is the hot lunches served at the Debec Women’s Institute. A stew, baked beans, preserves, coffee, tea and a piece of pie or ginger bread topped off with whip cream has been served to us on both Saturday and Sunday since the mid-eighties. Thank you ladies for all your efforts and support as well as the delicious meals.

The Weather, The Birds and The People

One morning, there was a sun shower. The rest of the time it was blue sky, mild temperatures, low humidity and no wind. Most importantly, the birds showed up.

There were an equivalent number of birds at each location. Over the three days at McAdam, the total was forty-nine woodcock and thirteen grouse. Thirty-two woodcock and eleven grouse were seen or pointed over ten braces of the North American Woodcock Championship. Seventeen woodcock and two grouse were contacted over the ten braces of the North American Woodcock Futurity. Over the three days at Debec (Mapledale and Limestone), the total was forty-three woodcock and fifteen grouse. Seventeen woodcock and two grouse were contacted over the seven braces of the Miss Leslie Anderson Open Derby Classic. Seven grouse were seen during the Cronk Farm Puppy stake. (More than likely, the same bird(s) were seen multiple times.) Over the two days and ten braces of the International Amateur Woodcock Championship, twenty-five woodcock and nine grouse were seen or pointed.

Field trialers and judges came from New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania and Tennessee. This year, in no particular order, Bobby Phillips, Cal Robinson, Leonard Sinclair, Tom Wilkins, Bob Little, Keith Burgess, Brian Breveleri and truck buddy, Kevin Lahoda, Gretchen and John Adsit, Greg and Jackie Fried, Craig Doherty, Tim Kisieleski, Anthony Mathews, Russell Ogilvie, Kellie Short, Tony Bly, Robbie Graham, Joe Dahl, Steve Forrest, Donald Cluney, Jamie Lank, Anthony Mathews and myself made the trip.

A Thank You

On behalf of the Maritime Bird Dog Club and the New Brunswick Field Trial Association, I would like to thank Bob Little and Keith Burgess for their services. Bob Little was ultimately responsible for the success of both weekends. As mentioned above, he found the Knights Inn, but he did a lot more. He took care of all the little (no pun intended) details. He organized coffee, he got lunches, he made sure handlers and dogs were on the line, he took care of business. He made it easy for the rest of us.

Keith Burgess has been managing this Amateur Championship since before the dawn of time, or at least since the 1980s. All the years I have known Keith, he was Championship chairman, whether he had a dog in the stake or not. He organized the ad. He found the judges. He marshaled. He was the liaison with the AFTCA. He organized the socials with Hino. He took care of the money and he ferried judges, handlers and dogs back and forth. Without Keith’s involvement it is fair to say we would not have had the Championship in New Brunswick for the run we have had.

45th Renewal of the North American Woodcock Championship

Champion Upper Ten Tucker, PM (Adsit)
Runner-up Champion Backstep Rudy, ESM (Lahoda)
“Forever dedicated to the memory of Jack Mayer, Jr., Robert Buzzell and Jack Mayer, Sr.”

The Championship was run at McAdam on Friday, September 30 and Saturday, October 1. The stake manager was Bob Little. The judges were Bobby Phillips, Jonesborough, Tennessee and Cal Robinson, Biddeford, Maine. Between the two judges, there is 146 years of bird dog experience.

Twenty dogs, nine English Setters and eleven English Pointers, ran over three courses in the following order: County Line, Casey Brook and Lakeland.

The Courses

County Line starts in a stand of young mixed wood (typical Acadian Forest), crosses a power line cut into a softwood stand and then goes up slope into mixed wood. The course weaves back and forth through this mixed wood stand coming out into a depression of mature alders ringed by a hill of middle-aged hardwood. The course takes the edge of this alder patch coming into a section of overgrown field that in turn ends back at the power line cut.

Casey Brook starts in a bottomland of multi-age softwood and hardwood. The course loops through this wood ending on a road. At the corner of the loop and road, there is acre thicket of dense softwood covering a brook. A few woodcock have taken up residence in this patch.

The course continues down the road for several hundred yards before turning left into a chopping leading to a young hardwood stand. It then comes onto a wheeler track that passes through a continuous softwood stand. The course follows this track for twenty minutes entering a couple hundred yards of young mixed hardwood that in turn opens onto a road. Mature hardwood picket both sides of the road with its right side being more productive in terms of woodcock. The course ends where two roads intersect, but for those who need more course, they can follow the road that goes off to the left for a couple hundred yards.

Lakeland starts with a twenty plus minute run down a straight single track bordered by young softwood, field and middle age softwood. It looks like ideal cover. There is enough edge to hold a bird, or one would think. The course takes a left through a young softwood stand for a couple hundred yards opening onto a walking trail that shoots a straight line through a landscape of meadow, swamp and softwood thickets. This space in turn opens onto a ridge with a panoramic view of Vanceboro, Maine. The course continues down hill going left and ending in more bottomland and swamp.

The Champions

Upper Ten Tucker is owned and handled by John and Gretchen Adsit, of Starksboro, Vermont and Hoffman, North Carolina. The Adsits have been field trialing for twenty-five years, this was their first Championship.

In their words:
“Upper Ten Tucker was purchased from Earl and Margeret Drew in Hoffman, North Carolina. He is sired by Chasehill Little Bud out of an Enhancement Thrillogy bitch. This was a repeat breeding. The first litter turned out very well and we thought we would like a puppy for ourselves.

We started with walking trials in 1996. After 13-14 years of serious trialing we decided to return to just being bird hunters!

After about a six-year layoff we got a nice young female pointer and started back with occasional trials. She was killed by a car at the end of her derby year and we stopped trials again until we got Tucker a few years later. With the addition of Upper Ten Riley, another pointer male by Great River Ice, we felt we had some competitive stock and got back into trials a bit more seriously.

We look forward to trialing both these dogs in the future.” John and Gretchen Adsit, October 2016

Tucker drew the County Line course. He broke long, stayed forward and immediately began hunting the edges. His race can best be described in one word: adaptable. It is why he won. He was constantly adjusting his pace and distance with the cover. He hunted the hour.

It would be an understatement to say this course held birds. He pointed four woodcock. The first woodcock was a relocate at 10, the second at 19 and the third bird at 57. His fourth and final bird, to keep John on his toes, was at 59. Needless to say, all was in order with the four birds. He stood tall on all his birds.

The last bird was memorable because it was at a point in the trial, when the last thing one wanted to see was a bobble given the body of work that preceded the find. It was a confusing time. Tucker’s brace mate, Ruff Grouse Lilly, was coming up from behind and came into contact with two woodcock and took herself out by chasing the pair as they lifted (see below). This commotion masked Tucker’s bell and resulted in Adsit temporary losing him. At 59 ½, away from where the handler, judge and reporter thought he was located, Adsit’s scout Russell Ogilvie yelled point. Adsit walked through the cover, stepped in front of Tucker at which point a woodcock lifted five feet forward. John fired with all in order. By this time, it was time, and John put the leash on Tucker.

Runner up Champion was Back Step Rudy owned and handled by Kevin Lahoda of New York. He is a dog one should pay attention to over the next few years.

“After moving a young derby that I knew would not make it as a trial prospect to another home early in 2012, I was interested in finding a new prospect for hunting grouse and competing in Cover dog Field Trials. Thom Richardson alerted me to an upcoming litter from Kelly Shepherd of Waverly, Ohio. Kelly had access to a few of the remaining straws of frozen semen from 6xCH/2xRU-CH/GNG CH Stillmeadow's Jim, an amazing winner and producer from the 1990s, and was planning to use this with his CH Kelly's Rainbow Daisy, a really nice female that was awarded her title in the only Championship stake she ever ran in.

Kelly had already successfully done this exact same breeding once, in 2010 I believe, and it produced a pup which he gave to Dave Hughes who named it Freezeway. I had seen Freezeway run as a derby and puppy at a couple trials and was confident that this was the type of setter I was looking for - very well put together, an efficient yet animated gait, cracking tail, a flowing natural pattern on the ground, lots of drive, and what seemed to be a very easy nature.

After I made the connection between what I saw with Freezeway with the litter Thom had told me about, I gave Kelly Shepherd a call. Fortunately for me, maybe the timing of this second breeding was a little too late for other field trialers, or maybe I just got lucky, but I was able to reserve a pup.

The pups were born, on June 1, 2012, and shortly after, Kelly's wife picked the masked tri-color male as her favorite. Kelly was a bit more keen on another male so they told me at about 3 weeks in that her pick would be mine.

I drove out to Ohio to pick him up in the first week of August, 2012. He was a very young pup for his first hunting season. Solon Rhode and I took him along as we hunted the covers in New York and Vermont that fall and we'd often let him out for road birds or to run him in areas with good numbers of woodcock.

In the spring of 2013 Rudy took first in the Northern New Hampshire Bird Dog Club Open Puppy stake, and second in the Amateur Puppy stake. (First in the Amateur Puppy went to Rudy's littermate, Long Gone Wallace who is co-owned by Lloyd Murray with Kelly Shepherd). Because of these two wins I was also later notified that Rudy would receive the Amateur Walking Puppy of the Year award from the Association of New England Field Trial Clubs for 2013.

I worked Rudy through the summer of 2013 around my place and with Solon Rhode at his farm in Shaftsbury, Vermont. Rudy was showing himself to have good prey drive, a very easy disposition, always looked good on birds, and was proving to be a natural backer. Towards the end of the summer I was determined to get Rudy as much exposure to wild birds as possible so I sent him for a couple months to train and hunt Maine with Joe Dahl.

Joe placed Rudy second in the Bill Kearns Memorial Open Derby Classic in Berlin, NH in September 2013. After this event I took Rudy back to hunt my local covers.

In the spring of 2014, I handled Rudy to third at the 24th Annual National Walking Shooting Dog Futurity at Beaver Valley in PA. This was a big win for us because I was determined to win a futurity stake with him and this was the last opportunity to do so. Later that spring, Rudy took first with a beautiful race in the Northern New Hampshire Bird Dog Club's White Mountain Open Derby Classic. Feeling we made our point for the spring, we scratched him from the Amateur Derby, which was to be held the next day.

As young as he was, Rudy was not campaigned much as a first year shooting dog. Instead, again, I sent him to hunt northern Maine with Joe Dahl for a month, and then hunted him in my local covers for the rest of the year.

Late summer 2015, Rudy went for a month to Toby Tobiassen in Catskill, NY. Rudy had a leg injury there and never did quite settle in to working big fields off horseback. I took him back for a few weeks and then sent him over to Dave Hughes for some tuning. Dave spent some time getting to know and polishing Rudy up and a month later handled Rudy to third at the DuBois, Beaver Meadow Field Trial Association's Shooting Dog stake. I don't know what he did; but ever since this short time with Dave I now never have any doubt about this dog's manners on birds.

After the DuBois win, I took Rudy back and hunted him hard all fall. Thankfully, for lack of snow, we hunted all winter too. My family and I also moved to a new location just on the NY/PA border and now have a number of productive covers close by to train in. Working on all these flighty New York and PA grouse in the winter of 2015-2016 was where I believe Rudy really came into his own as a grouse dog.

In the spring of 2016, Rudy took second at the Kilkenny Shooting Dog Classic and second at the Northern New Hampshire Bird Dog Club Amateur Shooting Dog.

At this point Rudy has become rather automatic in manners, bird finding, and handling. With a bit of discipline and a fair amount of luck we hope to be taken seriously at all stakes he is entered. As detailed, he has a solid record and is now hitting his stride as a threat any time he runs in the Cover Dog circuit. I believe he would be worth considering as stud for quality bitches and I would personally consider any of his pups to be on my small but selective string. I'm happy with where he is now, with the wins he's had - even with me just cracking in as a newcomer. He's definitely a keeper, but it would also be nice to be able to check a few more boxes in his career.

Although I cannot say I have a lot of experience in the field trial world I can tell you what makes sense to me and where I am currently in my philosophy about trialing.

What comes to mind right now is that you must be honest with yourself about what your intentions are, you must be goal oriented, and you must have discipline to get there. As someone relatively new to the game, I also heartily recommend checking any ego at the door. Always try to look for a different perspective. Do away with preconceived notions and turn to those with experience for help. It helps to think of the dogs as athletes and yourself as manager. In my estimation it often takes many hands to bring up a winning bird dog and you need to work with the right people for the right aspects of this multifaceted endeavor. That said, at the end of the day you have to trust yourself to make the decisions that help you reach your goals. No matter what level of involvement you are with your dog, you need to be hands on at all times.

Another thing I can speak to is being realistic with your goals and how many dogs you have. I am busy with family, life, and work, but also want to compete in field trials. This means, ideally, lots of time invested in an attempt to turn a good bird dog into a great one. Many hours of one on one time go into this for just a single dog. I think it's important to build a rapport with your dogs, not just feed them and train them. This is why Rudy always handles best for me, because he knows me and I know him. This too takes time and there are no shortcuts. This is why I need to really check in with myself when I start thinking about a new pup. You have to commit time to each dog. I'd rather have a small string where I know I can give the right amount of attention - time, money, etc. to each dog.

Lastly, not only training and campaigning, but every aspect of Field Trialing is a team effort. We are all in this project of raising the best bird dogs together. That guy with the other breed that you are braced with? He's your teammate too.” Kevin Lahoda, October 2016

Rudy drew Casey Brook. He carded three birds during his hour, woodcock at 6 and 49 and a grouse at 16. He also had a stop to shot on a grouse at 41. His race was at times at the edge of bell, and at other times, close to the course. Like Tucker, he adapted to the cover keeping in contact with Lahoda, and at the same time showing both independence and a desire to hunt. His grouse find was an example of the latter. The grouse was off the course, maybe twenty yards. Rudy came back from a deep cast, checked in with his handler and then started to run up the trail. He picked up the grouse sent, circled off the trail, keeping downwind of the bird. He then went on point.

He started this exercise in or around sixty yards from Lahoda, the judges and gallery. By the time he pointed, Lahoda was half way to him having walked down the trial. Lahoda then went off trail, walked in front of Rudy, flushed and shot with all in order.

Rudy was used because he was consistent in both his race and bird work. Lahoda knows his dog and made sure he showed to the front as he weaved through the cover. Rudy’s race was a very good example of how to show this relationship in a field trial.

The Running
(six one-hour braces: six braces on day 1, four braces on day 2)

Day 1: Friday, September 30
Brace 1) County Line, AM
1a) Upper Ten Tucker, PM (Adsit)
1b) Ruffed Grouse Lilly, ESF (Christopher)
Tucker’s race was described above.

Lilly was on the ground until 59 when she chased a pair of woodcock. Up to 59, she kept to the front, ran to likely objectives, hunted and carried herself with a high, cracking tail. At 33, she pointed a woodcock with all in order.

Brace 2) Casey Brook, AM
2a) Wild Apple Polka Dot, PF (Kisieleski)
2b) Stokley’s Trash Can, ESM (Bly)
Both dogs started to the front and were rewarded with a divided find on a woodcock at 1. Dot had an un-productive at 5 with Trash backing. The rest of the hour the two dogs kept to themselves, rambling to the edges, moving out of bell range on occasion, coming back to their handler and then ranging out to the edge of bell.

Brace 3) Lakeland, AM
3a) Wild Apple Spot On, PM (Kisieleski)
3b) SpringBrook Maximus, PM (Ogilvie)
Spot had a nice pace, to match his nice race. He was deep, running at the bell’s edge and beyond. He was also forward the majority of the time and needed little handling. Spot’s issue was that he went bird-less.

Max did a job. He runs with conviction. He had three finds, a grouse and two woodcock. The grouse find at 32 and the woodcock point at 53 was all in order. It was his first woodcock point at 41, when he took three steps after the shot, which brought an end to his judgment. He was kept down, but because of this indiscretion, was not used.

Brace 4) County Line, PM
4a) Chasehill Little Thudd, PM (Kisieleski)
4b) Long Gone Mersadies, ESF (Bly)
Mersadies went off on game at 48. Before 48, she had a divided find on a woodcock at 11. She settled into a nice race, while at times she was lateral and came up from behind, the majority of her run was forward.

Thudd’s race changed with the terrain. After the divided find at 11, he kept himself in the pocket. Between 30-43, he was out of bell range. At 45, he settled in and pointed a woodcock at 50 with all in order. He then ran over a ridge and was gone at time.

Brace 5) Casey Brook, PM
5a) Back Step Rudy, ESM (Lahoda)
5b) Wild Apple Calvados, PF (Kisieleski)
Rudy’s race was described above.

The most memorable aspect of Brandy’s race was her strong finish. This is not to say this was her only redeeming observation about her race. On the contrary, her race was to the front, she was biddable and she showed her intelligence in terms of how she approached objectives and hunted the wind. She had a back at 16, a stop to flush on a grouse at 41 and woodcock point at 50.

Brace 6) Lakeland, PM
6a) Stokely’s Willy B, ESM (Bly)
6b) Bog Brook Okie Dokie, ESF (Dahl)
Willy had an un-productive at 7, a back at 11 and a woodcock point with all in order at 38. The weather was hot and humid, making both scenting and running difficult. But, you could not tell by watching Willy. He showed heart and kept at it for the hour.

When Okie runs, one looks. Her high, cracking tail is a focal point making it easier to see her when she shows. She had an un-productive at 11 and 55, a back at 38, and a woodcock point at 50 and one at 59.

Day 2: Saturday, October 1

Brace 7) County Line, AM
7a) Wild Apple Samantha, PF (Kisieleski)
7b) Whynot Whitney, PF (Forrest)
Sam had a short day. She was picked up at 48 seconds after she followed a lifting woodcock.

Whitney was down for 58 minutes when she went with a grouse. Up to that point, she had put together quite the show. She pointed three woodcock, had a stop to flush on another woodcock, had one un-productive and pointed two grouse. The first grouse was in a tree when it was flushed, the second grouse point was after a relocate. Between these finds, she ran forward, cruised in and out of bell range, and listened. Unfortunately, she had the proverbial one bird too many.

Brace 8) Casey Brook, AM
8a) Paucek’s Tomahawk, ESM (Short)
8b) Fernwood’s Cove Bella, ESF (Dahl)
Tomahawk had a workman like race, keeping forward, hunting objectives and was biddable, as are all of Short’s dogs. At 45 both bells stopped. After a five minute search, Tommy was found backing Bella. After Bella was picked up (see below), Short did a quick search but came up empty. Tommy was then tapped on. He finished the hour without a bird.

Bella pointed a woodcock, with all in order, at 2. She ran the typical Bella race, snappy, forward and biddable. At 45, she refused to back and was ordered up by Judge Phillips.

Brace 9) Lakeland, AM
9a) Woodcock Haven Stella, PF (Ogilvie)
9b) Bear River Partridge Berry, PF (Little)
Stella was scratched.

Berry broke straight down the path and went out of bell range for several minutes. She came back and started to hunt the left edge. She was forward and again went out of bell range at 10. She came back, took a long cast to the left and went out of bell range a third time. Little asked for the tracker at 22.

Brace 10) County Line, PM
10a) Caird’s Little Macy Mae, PF (Little)
10b) Old Glory Kate, ESF (Parsons)
Macy started out racing down the trail. At about 100 yards, she broke left into an alder thicket. At 2, she pointed a woodcock with all in order. She was released and hunted up to the power line cut where she was seen chasing a woodcock at 10. Little picked her up.

Kate bolted down the line breaking to the right after fifty yards. She took a long arc going right to left and went on point. Parsons approached her and a grouse lifted thirty yards from her nose. All was in order. She then hunted down the trail and about fifteen yards off trail, had an un-productive at 7. (note: After she was released and down the trail, a gallery member was walking forward and kicked up a woodcock.)
She then crossed the power line cut and about thirty yards in the cover, took another un-productive. Once released, she ran forward and her bell stopped at 16.

After a fifteen-minute search, Parsons’ scout Brian Breveleri and Judge Phillips found her on point. Brian walked up a woodcock as he approached her and then saw Kate standing thirty feet in front of him. She held point for half a minute before self-releasing. Her day was done.

40th Renewal of the North American Woodcock Futurity

The Winners: Long Gone Juicy, ESF (Bly) (first), Wild Apple Pippin, PM (Little) (second), Northwoods Maddie, PF (Graham) (third), Magic Mist Sydni, ESF (Dahl) (fourth)

The futurity was run on Sunday, October 2, 2016 at McAdam. Joe Dahl was the stake manager. The judges were Tom Wilkins, Youngs Cove, New Brunswick and Leonard Sinclair, Bocabec, New Brunswick. The judges were not only looking for potential, but also a classy application of a cover dog race and bird work.

The Running– (ten half hour braces)

Twenty dogs, six English Setters and fourteen English Pointers, competed over five half hour courses in the following order: Casey Brook, Stinky Moose, County Line North, County Line Central and County Line South. It was the largest entry in memory.

Sunday, October 2

Brace 1) Casey Brook, AM
1a) Commanche Crackerjack, PM (Breveleri)
1b) Elhew Snake Charmer, PM (Kisieleski)
Crackerjack changed his race over the half hour. He started close to his handler running the trail, but forward. At 17, he started to hunt the edge making wide casts away from Breveleri. This pattern continued until time. He finished strong.

Snake Charmer had a nice race. He was consistent, in the cover throughout the half hour and worked the edge of bell forward of Kisieleski. He had a race that was good enough to win.

Unfortunately, neither dog had a bird contact.

Brace 2) Stinky Moose, AM
2a) Elhew Unsinkable, PM (Kisieleski)
2b) DC’s Sadie, PF (Cluney)
Unsinkable is memorable on point, high head, high tail. He displayed his style three times on woodcock, once at 10, another time at 18 and a final point at 20. The majority of his race was forward between 9-3 with several casts in different directions over the half hour.

At some point, Sadie will put it all together. She has potential and an interested owner. On this day, she started to the front and was last seen running down the trail to silence. At 8, Cluney picked her up.

Brace 3) County Line North, AM
3a) Magic Mist Sydni, ESF (Dahl)
3b) Upper Ten Riley, PM, Adsit
Sydni displayed a snappy, forward race hunting to the objectives while at the same time keeping forward of her handler. She had one stop to flush on a woodcock at 4 along with three woodcock contacts, the first at 15, the second at 22 and the third at 26. The judges thought she displayed enough of that signature New Brunswick race to place.

Riley is quick. The combination of his race pattern that takes him forward through the 10-2 arc in combination with his stride translates into an ability to cover a good deal of ground while down. In this half hour his efforts went unrewarded, he did not find a bird.

Brace 4) County Line Central, AM
4a) Northwood’s Maddie, PF (Graham)
4b) Wild Apple Guinevere, PF (Kisieleski)
Maddie points with a 12 o’clock tail. She had two woodcock points, one at 9, and the other at 11. She shows a quick, snappy pace with a good deal of focus on the task at hand. This combination draws one’s eye to her effort. Her race oscillated between short and long with her coming up from behind at times, and being lateral other times; however, these were the exceptions. Her race and bird work were good enough to garner her a placement.

Guinevere had a bird contact at 20 where she showed off her high tail. Her race was lateral and at times from behind. She also showed her maturity by taking her race to the edge of bell, but not beyond, staying in contact with her handler.

Brace 5) County Line South, AM
5a) Bob’s Elhew Lucy, PF (Phillips)
5b) Paucek’s Nimrod, ESM (Short)
Lucy had a nice flow to her race. She was off the trial, forward and hunted the edges. She pointed a woodcock at 22.

Nimrod kept to the edges of the cover focusing on the transition between the different types of forest. He hunted the full thirty minutes, showing no signs of letting up. On this day, no chicken, no soup.

Brace 6) Casey Brook, PM
6a) Dust Devil Maisie, ESF (Fried)
6b) Wild Apple Pippen, PM (Little)
Maisie had a woodcock contact at 5 and a woodcock point at 24. Her contact was memorable because she pointed on the trail, in full view of the gallery, displaying her high head and high tail. She was gorgeous on point, enough so to make one pause and take notice. Her race took her forward and she skirted the trail edge weaving in and out of the cover.

On behalf of the New Brunswick Field Trial Club, we would like to thank Greg and Jackie Fried for making the trip north. I believe this was there first time in New Brunswick and we all hope it is not their last.

Pippen adapted over the half hour, showing his intelligence. He started in the cover and kept in it over time. He was forward, used the trial edge strategically picking his spots when to leave the trail. His efforts were rewarded with two woodcock points, one at 5 and the other at 25. He put on a very nice race complimenting some very good bird work.

Brace 7) Stinky Moose, PM
7a) Crackin Dawn Scarlett, ESF (Fried)
7b) Bristle Tail Seldom Seen, PF (Breveleri)
Scarlett started in the woods. While she was occasionally to the sides, the majority of the time she was forward in the 10-2 pocket. She can also cover a good deal of ground given her foot speed. She did not contact a bird.

Seldom Seen was seldom seen. She worked the edge of the trail, hunting objectives. She established a nice flow to her race, keeping in contact with her handler who had to use a minimal of effort to keep her in the pocket. Like Scarlett, she had no bird contacts. The scent conditions had changed from the morning.

Brace 8) County Line North, PM
8a) Walnut Hill Anniversary, PF (Robinson)
8b) Paucek’s Super Hawk, ESM (Short)
Anniversary (Annie) started out along the edge of bell and lateral. As time went on, Robinson got her forward. At five, she went way forward and was out of bell range at 8. She kept out beyond bell for fifteen minutes when Robinson called it a day and turned on his tracker.

Hawk was forward and biddable over his half hour. As time ticked on, he got wider and spent more time in the cover than on the trial. His efforts were rewarded with a point on a pair of woodcock at 25.

Brace 9) County Line Central, PM
9a) Sanderling Elhew Spec, PM (Little)
9b) Bristle Tail Rufus Run, PF (Breveleri)
Spec pointed a woodcock at 5. After this point, he found a second gear and ran to the edge but always forward; however; with time, he became less biddable and started to take long casts out of bell range returning to his handler less frequently. At 21, he ran on a loop that carried him over a paved road. At 23, once he crossed the road, his handler elected to pick him up.

At the break, Rufus sprinted down the trail and pushed his way through the cover. He could be heard forward laying out several nice arcs. With time, he became more animated and went out of judgment at 8. He came back to his handler at 25 and was picked up.

Brace 10) County Line South, PM
10a) Long Gone Juicy, ESF (Bly)
10b) Wild Apple Jonathan, PM (Kisieleski)
Jonathan was scratched. This left the course to Juicy (Ju-Ju).

Long Gone Juicy won this Futurity based on her bird work. She started with an un-productive at 2, but this was the exception. She was forward, in the pocket and short; however, the birds were in and around the trail, and one can make the argument that she adapted to the cover. She was also very biddable and worked the cover in the preferred 10-2 arc, irrespective of where the trail took her handler.

At 11 she went on point. After an extensive flushing attempt by Bly, she was tapped on. She went twenty plus yards and snapped on point. Bly then went in to flush and a woodcock went aloft with all in order.

At 16, she went on point. After another flushing attempt by Bly, she was tapped on. She went over thirty yards this time in a straight line and then went on point. Bly got to her, stepped forward and a grouse lifted about ten yards in front of her nose. Again, all was in order.

At 25 she went on point, rather, she snapped on point. Bly went in to her front, took a few steps and a woodcock lifted with no issues. She ended her half hour as she started, to the front hunting the 10-2 arc.

2016 Miss Leslie Anderson Derby Classic

The Winners: Magic Mist Sydni, ESF (Dahl/Dahl) (first), Upper Ten Riley, PM (Adsit/Adsit) (second) and Northwoods Maddie, PF (Graham/Graham) (third)

The derby was run on Friday, October 7, 2016 at Harold Hatfield’s grounds in Mapledale. Tom Wilkins was the stake manager. The two judges were Kevin Lahoda, Vestal, New York and Austin Parsons, Queensland, Nova Scotia. The judges were looking for that intangible called potential.

Fourteen dogs, three English Setter and eleven English Pointers, competed over three courses in the following order: the first half of Harold’s pavement blue course, the second half of Harold’s pavement blue course and the first half of Harold’s Farm orange course.

The Running- (seven half hour braces)

Brace 1) first half of Harold’s pavement blue course, AM
1a) Wild Apple Pippen, PM (Little)
1b) DC’s Sadie, PF (Cluney)
Pippin started with a burst, getting out front and to the right of the trail. Through the half hour he moved in and out of bell range. At four, and twenty, he went on point, but no birds were flushed.

Sadie ran to the edge through most of her half hour, but Cluney kept her directed and when she returned to her handler, she was out front and going forward. She has a snap to her run and an eye-catching gait, making her an easy dog to watch.

Neither dog pointed a bird.

Brace 2) the second half of Harold’s pavement blue course, AM
2a) Wild Apple Jonathan, PM (Doherty)
2b) North Woods Maddie, PF (Graham)
Both dogs found birds during their half hour.
Jonathan had woodcock points at 6, 9, 10, 12 (DF), 13 and 29 (DF). Maddie pointed four woodcock, one at 8, another at 12 (DF), one at 16 and then at 29 (DF). The birds dictated each dog’s race. They were both lateral and took the edge with Jonathan hunting the short pocket. Maddie took the long arc, and of more interest to this reporter, was able to adapt her race to the circumstances.

Brace 3) the first half of Harold’s Farm orange course, AM
3a) Upper Ten Riley, PM (Adsit)
3b) Elhew Unsinkable, PF (Doherty)
Riley’s natural pattern is a 10-2 sweep. He also has a simpatico relationship with his handler and on this day, established a good walking pace through the cover. He pointed two woodcock, one at 5 and the other at 12. He also had a stop to flush on a grouse at 25.

Unsinkable pointed three woodcock, one at 16, one at 18 and her final bird at 19. She also carded an un-productive at 6 and another at 8. She has a knack for finding birds and her race was dictated by this strength. As part of her race, she hunted the corners and on occasion, lingered around them.

Brace 4) first half of Harold’s pavement blue course, AM
4a) Magic Mist Sydni, ESF (Dahl)
4b) Paucek’s Nimrod, ESF (Short)
Sydni had one woodcock point at 5. She bracketed this find with a race that flowed in and out of the cover, and was consistently forward with minimal handling. It was a pleasure to watch Sydni over the thirty minutes because of her consistency in combination with Dahl’s mastery of the craft.

Nimrod hunted the objectives, weaved in and out of the cover, was off trail most of the time and made an effort to keep forward of her handler. She had no birds during her half hour.

Brace 5) the second half of Harold’s pavement blue course, AM
5a) Paucek’s Cooper Hawk, ESM (Short)
5b) Elhew Snake Charmer, PM (Doherty)
Cooper started on the trail, but once he acclimated to the task at hand, opened up and spent his time in the cover working the likely spots. His persistence paid off with a woodcock point at 21 and 25. He also had an un-productive at 9.

Snake Charmer pointed a woodcock at 20. Most of his race was in the corners and between 9-3. He came up from behind on a couple of occasions and was stuck in a couple of corners. These sticky situations kept him from a win.

Brace 6) the first half of Harold’s Farm orange course, AM
6a) Bob’s Elhew Lucy, PF (Phillips)
6b) Sanderling Elhew Speck, PM (Little)
Both Lucy and Speck stretched the limits. They raced each other to the front and stayed out of bell range for most of their time on the ground. When they did come back to their handlers at 9, each dog was picked up.

Brace 7) first half of Harold’s pavement blue course, PM
7a) Sanderling Elhew Daph, PF (Little)
7b) Wild Apple Guinevere, PF (Doherty)
Daph has snappy race and can find a bird. She had a grouse point at 17, but as time went on, she faded to the back and was picked up at 26.

Guinevere has a pleasant run, if there is such a term. She is athletic, easy to watch and handles with minimal effort. Her race was enough to win, but unfortunately, in her half hour she went bird-less.

5th Renewal of the Cronkite Farm Puppy Classic

The Winners: Elhew Snake Charmer, PM (Doherty) (first), Wild Apple Mikey, PM (Doherty/Kisieleski) (second), Magic Mist Half Moon, ESF (Dahl) (third) and Bob’s Miller Gail, PF (Phillips) (fourth)

“Dave (Palmer) and a few of us formed the Cronk Farm Field Trial Club to generate some puppy entries in hopes they would turn over into future derbies.” Dale Hackett

The Classic was run on Friday, October 7, 2016 at Harold Hatfield’s grounds in Mapledale. Bob Little was the stake manager. The two judges were Bob Little of McAdam, New Brunswick and Tom Wilkins, Youngs Cove, New Brunswick. The judges were looking for boldness, a desire to hunt and control.

Seven dogs, two English Setters and five English Pointer, competed over a single course (Hatfield’s puppy course). From a judging and stake management perspective, one could not ask for anything more out of the puppy course. It had a range of typical cover dog cover, was flat and completed a semi-circle ending at the start line. This was the last stake of the day, yet the same gallery that followed the Miss Leslie Open Derby Classic followed this one.

The Running - (four twenty minute braces)

Brace 1
1a) Wild Apple Guinevere, PF (Doherty)
1b) Magic Mist Half Moon, ESF (Dahl)
Guinevere has a great deal of potential. She has an eye catching run, keeps forward and listens to her handler, most of the time. Like any puppy (or any dog or person for that matter) she has her good days and her not so good days. On this day, she was a bit too wild for her handler. While she started well, she got wilder with time and was picked up at 13.

Moon (I don’t know her call name, this is a guess.) showed a great deal of drive. The absolute this reporter took from her brace is that she has heart. Her race could be best described as round and round. She was at times to the front, at other times behind, sprinkled with a whole lot of in between. She is a puppy.

Brace 2
2a) Easy Going Esther, ESF (Lank)
2b) Elhew Snake Charmer, PM (Doherty)
Always good to see another Nova Scotia field trailer put their dog down for a go. It took a few minutes for Esther to find herself and when she did, she started to hunt, run off the trail, stay forward and do what one hopes she will do as she gets more experience with age.

Snake Charmer was consistent for the full twenty minutes. He was in the pocket, listened to his handler, hunted objectives and showed a maturity beyond his age. For these reasons, he won.

Brace 3
3a) Bob’s Miller Gail, PF (Phillips)
3b) Woodcock Haven Annie Oakley, PF (Mathews)
Gail showed her age. Initially, she ran the trail and explored, as time marched on, she applied herself and went off trail hunting the edges. She demonstrated enough race and drive to place.

Annie is a lot of dog. She started to the front and her race got bigger with time. She had a few forays beyond bell and then at 7 went out for a country stroll coming back in judgment at 17.

Brace 4
4a) Wild Apple Mikey, PM (Doherty)
Mikey had a good race. Yes, he was forward, hunted off trail searching for likely objectives, and had a very good ground pattern. Most importantly, he showed his intelligence when it comes to finding birds.

40th Renewal of the International Amateur Woodcock Championship

Old Glory Kate, ESF (Parsons) Champion, Bobby’s Elhew Holly, PF (Phillips) Runner-Up Champion

The Championships was run at Debec (Mapledale and Limestone) on Saturday, October 8 and Sunday, October 9. The stake managers were Bob Little, Keith Burgess and Austin Parsons. The judges were Leonard Sinclair from Bocabec, New Brunswick and Tom Wilkins from Youngs Cove, New Brunswick.

Nineteen dogs, seven English Setters and twelve English Pointers, ran over four courses in the following order: Harold’s pavement blue, Harold’s Farm orange, Andy’s upper blue and Andy’s lower orange

The Courses

Harold’s pavement blue course has historically started with what can best be described as a suicide corner - a sharp 90 degree bend into an overgrown field that more times than not, holds a woodcock within 100’ of the start. Sometimes, the woodcock gets pointed, sometimes it does not get pointed. This year, the course started after the bend, but in the area of the woodcock.

After the dog’s travel through the field, the course takes a hard left down a dirt road. They follow this road for a couple hundred yards, before it takes a right hand turn into a stand of the cover mixed woods, which is about twenty years old. The course loops back to the road and follows it for several hundred yards at which point, it takes a right into a swamp that leads to a logging road.

After the logging road is crossed, the dogs enter a mid-age softwood stand leading to a cut that in turn, leads to another logging road. Once the dogs cross this second road, they are in bottomland covered with a dense thicket of alders, first succession trees and scrub. This continues for a few hundred yards at which point, one comes into a softwood stand that in turn leads to an over grown field and eventually another logging road.

Harold’s Blue course starts in the thick, the bottomland described above. After about ten minutes, the course then opens into a soft wood stand of what was once field. The course meanders through this section, crosses a road and then transitions into a mixed wood stand. The course meanders through this stand until it goes back into soft wood that opens into a field. The last ten minutes of the course is on a logging road that leads back to the start.

The first twenty minutes of Andy’s upper blue course, is for the most part, one large section of mature softwood. One can see for several hundred yards under the over story. In the years this reporter has walked this course, a bird has never been pointed in this first twenty minutes, until this year. At two minutes, Thom Richardson’s dog Okie Dokie was off to the left standing at an edge. Two woodcock were flushed and shot over with all in order.

Once through the softwood, the course opens into an old field now covered with mature alders and stone piles. The course rings this field and the dog that hunts off path in the old field is rewarded. The other side of the path takes a dog into a mature soft wood stand and an open under story.

Once having traversed around the field, the course enters a mixed stand of multi-age wood that ends on a road. Once the road is crossed, the cover reverts back to a field overgrown with mature alders.

The past four Amateur Champions won on Andy’s lower orange course.

This course starts on a wooded hill of mid-aged softwood and follows down a back slope into a valley bottom that extends for a mile. The course travels along the bottom. The cover begins with softwoods, transitions to hardwood, enters a patch of bottom land heavy with alder, opens into a small field, goes back into a red pine stand. This stand is on a small hill and represents the other end of the valley. The red pine stop at the base of the hill at which point, there is bottomland and intermittent stands of wood until the path comes to a road. This part of the course takes thirty minutes. A dog can run over this part of the course, and for those dogs that run big and forward, it shows them very well.

After the course crosses the road, the trail rewards diggers; but, the dog has to get past the railroad bed. Immediately after entering the cover off the road, a dog is confronted by a railroad bed. Some dogs run down the bed and out of site, but most follow their handler’s commands and enter into the cover after a 100 + yard walk down jog. Once in this cover, the dog is in swamp, softwood thickets, seeps and crosses a brook. Once through this section, the trail goes up a hill and the cover transitions to a young softwood stand. To the right of this stand, is an old field, mature apple orchard and brook. For the dogs that need the time, the course continues into a mix wood stand.

The Champions

Old Glory Kate is owned and handled by Austin Parsons, Queensland, Nova Scotia.

In his words:

“Kate is out of a second breeding between Old Glory Joe and Old Glory Bluebelle. Old Glory Red, Kate’s sister out of the first breeding, was named International Amateur Woodcock Champion in 2013. I had to sneak this one in.

Kate was one of five pups born in July 2012. Because she is off age, she was not campaigned as a pup or derby and she developed at her own pace. Kate’s first shooting dog win was the 2015 Nova Scotia Pheasant Classic. She went bird-less in the 2016 Maritime Classic, and I lost her on point in the 2016 North American Woodcock Championship. She has that second gear and is fancy on the ground and on point. Something she picked up from her mother. She picked up her bird finding abilities from her father.” Austin Parsons, October 2016

Kate started long and to the front. After about two minutes, she took the first of several deep casts. She went beyond the bell’s edge, but always showed back to the front. At about twenty minutes, she was seen on point, but Parsons elected to send her on before point was established. She then continued her forward pattern until she crossed the road.

Once beyond the railroad bed, she went left into a softwood thicket and at 41, went on point. After a quick flush, a woodcock lifted and all was in order. She then continued in the bottomland and went on point at 48. Again, after a quick flush a woodcock lifted with all in order. She had an un-productive at 58. She finished the hour strong.

In review, Kate ran a forward, snappy edge of bell race with a couple of woodcock points. She looked good on point on both occasions, but more importantly, she established, and kept a rhythm to her race that made time dance.

Bobby Phillips came north this fall and, with this runner up win, made history. He is the only handler to have a win in the International Amateur Woodcock Championship, a Champion in the AFTCA Walking Shooting Dog Championship (CH Bob's Miller Sue--Virginia March 2011) and a Champion in the AFTCA Grouse Championship (CH Bob's Elhew Jill--Wisconsin—October 2013). Congratulations Bobby.

In his words:

“Holly (Elhew Moneymaker ex Ch Bob's Miller Daisy). has excellent conformation and her strengths are style, nose and manners around birds. I only bred an occasional litter until about 20 years ago when I acquired the first of 3 Elhew females out of Elhew Seahorse ex Osage Evolution. These three females raised my competitiveness significantly and I began to adopt the breeding philosophy of selecting excellent females and breeding them to the best males I could find that would complement the female. Five of the last 6 litters that I have raised produced champions and I have the only competing dog out of the missing litter (Bob's Elhew Kate) whom you saw run in NB and I believe she will make it this year.” Bobby Phillips, October 2016

Holly found a few birds. To be exact, she pointed five woodcock, and had a stop to flush on a woodcock and a grouse. Her finds were at 32, 39, 56 and 58. The stop to flush on the woodcock was at 25. The stop to flush on the grouse was at 31. She had one un-productive at 51.

Her bird work interspersed her run that can be described as deliberate. She kept within bell range, was forward and swept the landscape. Again, her range was a reflection of where she found the birds. She adapted her race showing her intelligence. As one would expect given how she worked the cover, she is biddable and to reinforce the point, there was a minimal of handling over her hour.

Holly placed with her bird work. She had ample time to unravel, but was consistent and kept to the script.

The Runnning– (ten one hour braces: seven braces on day 1, three braces on day 2)

Day 1: Saturday, October 8

Brace 1) Harold’s pavement blue, AM
1a) Wild Apple Calvados, PF (Kisieleski)
1b) Backstep Rudy, ESM (Lahoda)
The Championship started with a bang. Calvados (Brandy) started out long and forward. Rudy reached for the edges.

Brandy took to the woods after the field, weaved in and out of the woods at the same time, and was in contact with her handler. Rudy played the edges, not spending any time on the road or where he could be seen in the field.

The first bird was a divided find at 39. A woodcock lifted as the handlers flushed and both fired. Brandy then went on a bird finding mission carding woodcock at 46, 48 and 49 with all in order At 52 she went on point, was relocated and came up empty. At 58 she bumped a woodcock and was picked up.

Rudy found his birds at 45, a pair of grouse. He was high and tight. At 47, 50 and 59 he had three un-productives.

Brace 2) Harold’s Farm orange, AM
2a)Paucek’s Hickory Bonnie, ESF (Short)
2b)Bob’s Elhew Kate, PF (Phillips)
Bonnie danced through the alders keeping to the front and hunting the immediate edge. At 6, she backed Kate’s bird (see below) as the dogs entered the mixed wood. At 10, she had a stop to flush on a grouse. From 20-40 she adjusted her race hunting objectives through the colors; however, her handler was not liking what she was doing and Short picked her up at 43.

Kate started in the thick - it was impossible to see her, one only heard the bell. At 6, her bell stopped and Phillips found her a few minutes latter pointing a woodcock. She was sent on and ran into a mixed stand and pointed a grouse at 11. At 16, she bumped a grouse and was picked up.

Brace 3) Andy’s upper blue, AM
3a) Bog Brook Okie Dokie, ESF (IS) (Richardson)
3b) Caird’s Little Macy Mae, PF (Kisieleski)
As mentioned earlier, at 2, Okie went on point. She was found by Richardson’s scout Kellie Short on point at the edge of the big wood to the front of a pocket of small hardwoods. Richardson went in to flush and out came two woodcock. All was in order.

Okie continued with her race through the softwood and into the field with its alders. About five minutes ahead of her handler, she went on point. Her brace mate’s handler and judge found her on point after a ten-minute search. They were in the alders looking for Macy Mae (see below). When she was found, the woodcock lifted and she took steps at 33. She was picked up.

Macy is a hard charger. At the break, she bursts to the front and keeps this pace until she starts to find birds. She showed this style ranging over the entire big woods. She was out of bell for periods of time but always came back to her handler. As she entered the alders, her bell stopped at 27. She was found at 33, a woodcock lifted and all was in order.

She then settled into a nice, even paced, forward race hunting within bell range. At 48, she was about thirty feet in front of the handler and judge when she took an aggressive stop to flush on a grouse. She was kept down, and finished her hour. This stop to flush haunted her.

Brace 4) Andy’s lower orange, AM
4a) Ruff Grouse Lilly, ESF (Christopher)
4b) Old Glory Kate, ESF (Parsons)
Lilly worked the objectives, was forward and ran her race. She neither sauntered or sprinted, or paced herself. She ran at her speed. She listens and is pretty to watch. On this day, she had no birds.

Kate’s race was described above.

Brace 5) Harold’s pavement blue, PM
5a) Chase Hill Little Thudd, PM (Kisieleski)
5b) Bob’s Elhew Holly, PF (Phillips)
Oh Thudd! You are a joy to watch. You are the proverbial bull in a china shop. You roll, you flash, you snap, you are a handful.

You don’t know what you are going to see when Thudd runs, but you will be entertained.

On this course, on this day, he ran big and wide motoring his way out of bell and finding his way to the front. He worked himself into an “in and out” routine before settling into a right to left sweeping pattern. His bell stopped a few times, but would start up before his handler got to him. At 50, Tim decided he had enough fun for one day and picked him up.

Holly’s race was described above.

Brace 6) Harold’s Farm orange, PM
6a) Autumn Memory Kate, PF (Short)
6b) Upper Ten Tucker, PM (Adsit)
Kate and Tucker had a divided find on a woodcock at 19.

Tucker had a woodcock at 2, one at 16, a divided find at 19 and another at 22. He was stylish on his birds and showed intelligence by adjusting his race to the cover and where he was finding the birds. At 31, he failed to back.

Kate’s race was close and erratic. She had a divided find at 19. Kate was lost at time.

Brace 7) Andy’s upper blue, PM
7a) Bobby’s Elhew Julie, PF (Phillips)
7b) Stokley’s Evil Klown, ESM (Kisieleski)
Julie was picked up at 40. She went bird-less and had two un-productives, one at 25 and the other at 28.
Her race was out and about.

Klown was attentive and hunted what he thought were likely objectives, as well as the spots where he was told to go. His race had a bit of everything, at times it was forward, other times it was lateral and a couple of times he came up from behind. He was birdless when he was picked up at 47.

Day 2: Sunday, October 9

Brace 8) Andy’s lower orange, AM
8a) Bear River Partridge Berry, PF (Parsons)
8b) Paucek’s Tomahawk, ESM (Short)
Berry was picked up at 38.

Berry was having a race. She glides through the cover and has a natural tendency to keep forward. For the first twenty minutes she was on a roll working the cover to a T. At twenty, she went out of bell range and was absent for 10-15 minutes. This absence, compounded with hearing a car start and stop abruptly on the pavement near the trail and forward made both handler and judge pause. They were wondering about her safety. The handler asked for the tracker. She was ahead 300 + yards, and after a few minutes she came back and all was well.

Tomahawk pointed a woodcock at 57 and two un-productives at 40 and 54. He hunted out of sight, but within bell range. He was to the front and worked the 9-3 arc weaving in and out of the cover, adapting to the conditions as he went along. He was getting better with time.

Brace 9) Harold’s pavement blue, AM
9a) Wild Apple Polka Dot, PF (Kisieleski)
9b) Bob’s Elhew Jill, PF (Phillips)
Dot was “doin it”. At the start, and for the first half of her hour, she was methodical, in the pocket, at the edge of bell, but no farther, gliding through the cover. All she needed was a bird. At 27, her bell went silent. When her bell went silent, her handler was a few hundred yards away. When judge and handler got to where they thought she was, they were staring at Harold’s alder field. After a twenty-five minute search, she was not found and the tracker was turned on. She was found standing on a grouse.

Jill worked with her handler, showing her intelligence. She stayed to the front, picked away at pockets of cover adapted and searched the 9-3 arc. In the first half of the course, she went searching for edges. Once in the alders, she swept the landscape. This change in tactic paid off, when she pointed a woodcock at 44 and another at 54.

Brace 10) Harold Farm orange, AM
10a) Wild Apple Spot On, PM (Kisieleski)
Spot took his handler through all the nasty stuff. On more than one occasion Kisieleski came back to the trail blooded. Spot pointed woodcock at 15 and 49. He had a stop to flush on a grouse at 31 and one un-productive at 18.

He ran a forward race but went sideways and backwards when he smelled a bird. On the stop to flush, he was hunting behind Kisieleski and given what the handler saw, was trying to get him forward. Spot was not listening and he kept searching and circling. When the grouse lifted, he pointed vindicating his actions. The other two finds were off the trail, and as mentioned above, in the thick.
Donald

Re: 2016 Fall Trial Reports

Postby Donald » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:48 pm

The Miss Leslie Trophy

When one wins the Amateur, they receive a ribbon, a plaque and a gift from the AFTCA. They also receive, and are asked to be the steward of, the Miss Leslie Trophy for one year. The Miss Leslie Trophy is a platter and was given to the New Brunswick Field Trial Association by Ron and Frankie Ashfield in 1983. It is a dedication to Miss Leslie Anderson of Hernando, Mississippi. Miss Anderson was the AFTCA secretary for over thirty years and a strong supporter of the New Brunswick Field Trial Association and the International Amateur Woodcock Championship.

Engraved on the platter’s front face is the inscription:
“The Miss Leslie Trophy Emblematic of Supremacy in The International Amateur Woodcock Championship
presented by Ron & Frankie Ashfield in tribute to Champion Just Happy October 1983”
to be retired on three wins by same owner.”

The Miss Leslie Trophy is the second trophy associated with the International Amateur Woodcock Championship. The first was the Harry Townshend Trophy, in circulation between 1977-1983. Ron Ashfield retired this trophy with his setter male Just Happy in 1983. One suspects that the condition to retire the Townshend Trophy was three wins by the same owner. Ron did this with three wins in 1978, 1980 and 1983. More remarkably, he did it with the same dog, Just Happy.

In 2014, the Miss Leslie Trophy was retired by Long Gone Kennels with wins by Long Gone Agnes (1998), Long Gone Madison (2010) and Long Gone Buckwheat (2014). For good measure, Long Gone Kennels also won the Championship a fourth time in 2015 with Long Gone Buckwheat. In October 2015, Long Gone Kennels re-introduced the Miss Leslie trophy back into circulation with a new dedication.

“Retired by Long Gone Kennels by virtue of three wins of the Championship. Put back in competition by the Murray Family, hence forth the trophy will be called the Bernie Murray Trophy”

Unlike earlier times, and a break from precedent, the trophy is no longer to be retired on three wins by the same owner. It is not to be retired at all, but kept in circulation irrespective of the number of wins by an owner as per the request of Long Gone Kennels.

The name of each year’s Champion has been engraved on the back of the platter. The list begins with the statement “replacing the Harry H. Townshend Trophy” followed by“ won by” and then the year and name of the dog as recorded on the platter.

What follows is the list of Champions of the International Amateur Woodcock Championship from 1977-2016 as engraved on the back of the Miss Leslie Trophy.

1977 Ghost Star
1979 Brackens Ariana Lady
1978, 80 - 82 Just Happy
1983 Blu Hill Benson
1984 Tomoka Sunrise
1985 Sycamore’s Sweet Sue
1986 Billy Girl
1987 Paucek’s Fauntleroy
1988 RJ’s Derail
1989 Sargeant Miz Liz
1990 Yoho’s Runway Bud
1991 Stoke’s Kalamity Kate
1992 Cheers
1993 Elhew Gamemaster
1994 Stokley’s Diablo Ginger
1995 Bryan’s Indiana Jones
1996 Northern Andee
1997 Kalamity Cover Girl
1998 Long Gone Agnes
1999 Texas Diablo Taz
2000 Vanidestine’s Rocky
2001 U Go Girl
2002 A Rollingstone
2003 Wynot Ace
2004 Highmeadow Contessa
2005 Sunkhaze Fastbreak
2006 Pennstar
2007 Sunkhaze Maggie May
2008 Chasehill Benson
2009 Bog Brook Wilma
2010 Long Gone Madison
2011 Wild Apple Jack
2012 Richfield Silver Lining
2013 Old Glory Red
2014 GNG Ch. Long Gone Buckwheat
2015 4xCh. Long Gone Buckwheat
2016 Old Glory Kate

An observation

One of the joys of reporting is being able to stand back and see the dog work in total. In the message boards, we talk about a shrinking interest. This is an issue of quantity - fewer dogs and handlers. But, the cup is half full. I have seen an improvement in quality as evident in the performances of the dogs and handlers over these two weekends. Compared to when I first started hearing bells in the woods twenty years ago, both the dogs and handlers are better.
Donald

Return to Write-Ups & Reports